Re: Input on request for link relation [ w/ proposed modifications to link draft ]

Robert:

I'm in no position to speak on behalf of Google regarding the patent
you referred to, but I will say a few things:

The whole point of PubSubHubbub is to be an open protocol, free of
patents, that anyone can use. We're going to release it under the
license coming out of the Open Web Foundation
(http://openwebfoundation.org/) once that's ready (I hear drafts are
very far along).

If you read the PubSubHubbub spec, your mind will overflow with absurd
amounts of prior art on which we've built things. It's obvious that
any patent on this technology is invalid or long expired. Please read
it if you haven't and you'll see what I mean.

I find it frustrating that you're lumping me, Brad, Martin, and this
spec together with some patent we had nothing to do with. We're trying
to do good here and help the web. I'd appreciate it if you could
recognize the level of effort we're putting into this, into being
open, and into reaching a consensus.

-Brett