Re: #172 (take over HTTP Upgrade Token Registry) – httpbis

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 06/06/2009, at 5:49 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Open Questions:
>>
>> - are we happy with the details of the registration procedure (if not,
>> we should treat that as separate issue)?, and
>
> My first impulse upon reading this was to suggest it be changed to a
> designated expert procedure (which IMO is good policy, as it allows a
> sanity check on registrations without raising the bar too high).
> However, AFAICT there aren't as many risks in registering a new upgrade
> token as there would be for a new header (for example), and the
> considerable effort required to deploy a new upgrade token successfully
> suggests that the registry won't be inundated.
>
> So, I'm not fussed either way.

OK, so let's leave things as they are for now.

>> - is the registry supposed to take just product tokens, or
>> product/version pairs? The text in RFC 2817 is unclear, and the one
>> value it registers contains both.
>
> My reading of the text is that the term "token" was an unfortunate
> choice, and the intent was to register both.

RFC 2817 registers "TLS/1.0" (token + product-version), while RFC 2616
reserves "HTTP" (just token).

So we need to decide how to populate the existing registry
(<http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-upgrade-tokens/>) which currently
  is empty -- actually it isn't anymore, it now has a broken entry for
"WebSocket":

> Value  Description       Reference
> -----  ----------------  ---------
> 1      WebSocket         [draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol]

...broken in that the value to be registered isn't "1", right?

Citing the registration procedure:

>    6.  The responsible party for the first registration of a "product"
>        token MUST approve later registrations of a "version" token
>        together with that "product" token before they can be registered.

...which licenses the registration of just a token.

So it seems the registry can take both.

My proposal thus is to instruct IANA to change the registry to:

Value      Description                  Reference

HTTP       Hypertext Transfer Protocol  [RFC2616]
TLS/1.0    Transport Layer Security     [RFC2817]
WebSocket  WebScocketProtocol           [draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol]

BR, Julian