Re: #184: HTTP/0.9

tor 2009-08-13 klockan 17:18 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > mån 2009-08-10 klockan 21:47 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> >
> >> In particular, we do *not* expect today's servers to understand 0.9
> >> requests, and respond to them. Right? RIGHT?
> >
> > Right. But I still expect clients to handle HTTP/0.9 responses, even if
> > not required by any specifications old or new, but that does not need to
> > be covered here.
>
> Why would a client be expected to handle 0.9 response when it doesn't
> send a 0.9 request?

Because there is still some dumb devices out there responding with
HTTP/0.9. Eventually they will die, but server rotation is a bit slower
than client rotation.

But as I said it's not really something the HTTP/1.1 specifications need
to go into. It's entirely up to client vendors to judge if they need to
support HTTP/0.9 or not, or if just HTTP/1.x is sufficient as per the
HTTP/1.1 specifications + HTTP/1.0 keep-alive (which is not in 1.0
specifications, in fact all of the HTTP/1.0 specifications is best
ignored today). Most will be just fine with tha 1.1 specifications.

Regards
Henrik