Re: #184: HTTP/0.9

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/184>
>> p1 appendix B:
>>
>> It is worth noting that, at the time of composing this specification
>> (1996), we would expect commercial HTTP/1.1 servers to:
>>
>>     • recognize the format of the Request-Line for HTTP/0.9, 1.0, and
>> 1.1 requests;
>>     • understand any valid request in the format of HTTP/0.9, 1.0, or
>> 1.1;
>>     • respond appropriately with a message in the same major version
>> used by the client.
>
> This was discussed in Stockholm, and the feeling in the room was that we
> should remove HTTP/0.9 from this text. Although it wasn't specifically
> discussed, we'll also change the date.
>
> Any further comments?

+1

In particular, we do *not* expect today's servers to understand 0.9
requests, and respond to them. Right? RIGHT?

So, the replacement text would be:

"It is worth noting that, at the time of composing this specification,
we would expect commercial HTTP/1.1 servers to:

     • recognize the format of the Request-Line for HTTP/1.0 and 1.1
requests;
     • understand any valid request in the format of HTTP/1.0 or 1.1;
     • respond appropriately with a message in the same major version
used by the client."

BR, Julian