Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > Separately, as an editorial comment, as listed directly above, I'd like to
> > > see a big s/resource/resource representation/g (or just
> > > s/resource/representation/g as the resource is what is identified by the
> > > URI, not the bag-o-bits returned in an HTTP response.  I have some other
> > > editorial comments too, but those will have to wait until I have time to
> > > write them down.
> >
> > A resource is a bag of bits. I would object to this change.
>
> Mark is correct. Please use terminology consistent with other IETF specs.

In this particular case, I really would encourage the use of terms people
understand. In any case, the term "resource" is correct when refering to a
file, stream, or other "bag of bits". The terminology used by HTTP in this
instance is inconsistent with wider usage (and remarkably confusing).