Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I don't mind making this requirement non-normative (since as you say it's
> implicit), but I do think we should explicitly state that file extensions
> don't and mustn't have an effect, since it is so common to use them for
> this exact purpose in clients.

I find it absurd to disallow use of file extensions given that on most
OSes, there is no other mechanism to annotate content type. And they are
a common way web servers choose content/type values.

Legislating our result into irrelevance is the likely outcome of dictating
against common practice without a better commonly available alternative.

David Morris