Re: iPhone streaming Internet-Draft posted

Hi Mark

I completely agree with your point on this.

It's also interesting that Microsoft proposed similar IIS Smooth
Streaming technology a year ago, and their technology is far more
native to HTTP.

At least it allows HTTP to handle the resource expiration time (see
"section 6.2.3. Reloading the Playlist file" in Apple's spec), allows
HTTP to control caching (see EXT-X-ALLOW-CACHE tag description) etc.
etc.

I don't understand why Apple thinks it's OK to submit invented by
someone else technology without any references, add unneccessary level
of complexity by duplicating functionality which is already provided
by HTTP and call it HTTP Live Streaming. Sounds weird to me.

Here's my thoughts:
http://sharovatov.wordpress.com/2009/05/02/apple-submitted-http-live-streaming-spec-to-ietf/

Vitaly