Re: PROPOSAL: content sniffing [#155]

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
> It seems like Mark's proposal is the minimum required to declare victory,
> from an HTTP standpoint at least.
>
> Remove this text from p3 section 3.2.1:
>>
>> "If and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
>> recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its content
>> and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the resource."

I'm not an expert at spec reading, but the spec would still say:

"When an entity-body is included with a message, the data type of that
body is determined via the header fields Content-Type and
Content-Encoding."

This seems false since the data type might be determined after taking
other information into account.

Adam