Re: NEW ISSUE: content sniffing

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM, =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@kingsmountain.com> wrote:
> Specifically, I'm thinking that the last paragraph really should read
> something more like..
>
>    Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
>    Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body.
>    Processing of the entity-body SHOULD be based on the Content-Type
>    header field value and MAY be based as well on other header field
>    values.

That text isn't specifying a protocol, it's specifying how
implementations should behave.  We need the protocol specification to
specify what messages *mean* when the Content-Type header is there and
when it isn't, and we already have that text.

My previous suggestion is as far as I would feel comfortable going
along these lines;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009AprJun/0018.html

Mark.