From: ietf-http-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:ietf-http-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Stenberg
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 2:08 PM
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTTP 301 responses for POST

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Yngve Nysaeter Pettersen wrote:

> I think it would be an idea to see if the language for web clients can be
> made closer to the actual situation, and perhaps state that other (non-web)
> HTTP applications need to specifically define their handling of non-safe
> methods and redirects.

I don't know what browsers that do what, but as an author of a library that is
very often used to emulate browser behavior we've had people "get bitten" by
this (libcurl defaults to POST => GET for 301 and 302) and as a consequence
recent versions of libcurl can be told to do POST in the second request as
well when following 301 and/or 302...

Meaning: there are already systems "out there" that do and assume both ways.
Both client-side and server-side.

--

  / daniel.haxx.se