RE: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> >> Which part?
> >
> > The whole message with 3 alternatives, all three of them.

> Proposal 1 IMHO breaks the PUT semantics (that's why I started this
> thread).

Proposal 1 was: "Simply do allow that use case. WebDAV clients already expect the server to create the resources at the URI they are given. This is a pretty fundamental part of WebDAV; an extension of WebDAV that didn't support it isn't an extension at all."

In other words, just let the client pick the URI like we always have in WebDAV, and don't attempt to support servers that do not want to let the client pick the URI. There is nothing that breaks PUT's semantics there.

> > However, creating a new method for this is defenitely not the right
> > thing. Better to extend PUT to allow this use case by conditionally
> > relaxing the target resource URI requirements, or use POST.
>
> I still do not see how this functionality can be implemented without
> breaking the semantics of PUT.

The functionality doesn't need to be implemented in the first place, so it doesn't matter.

- Brian