Re: PROPOSAL: Weak Validator definition [i101]

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:23:22AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Are you seeing any clients who are using the weak etags in a way
> that's different from how they'd behave if you sent a strong etag?

Only for full-body conditional GETs the answer is "no".

I think the big questions is: Do we want to cache documents that just
changed when we asked for them AND could have changed once again in that
second?

Apaches weak etags would provoke that, which for me makes no sense. -
The server obviously does not care if some client stays with old and
possibly completely "wrong" data. This is what we have now and we could
judge:

a) that's fine, the server sends weak etags whenever it likes
b) that's not fine, weak etags stand for "semantic equivalence"
   -it is still the servers task to rule something equivalent
   -but "semantic equivalence" is definitively content based, not
    modification time based

I personally don't like careless server behaviour like a); a
document that changes "so often" is in my view probably out of date.
Servers should not generate an ETag in this situation if they have no
better means.

Robert