Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-http-patch-08.txt]

On Jul 27, 2007, at 10:34 AM, James M Snell wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> Yeah, I think you're right on the Content-Location thing.  FWIW,
> Atompub
> takes the same approach.
>

> Mark Baker wrote:
>>
>> James, I hope you incorporate the change I requested here;
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2007JulSep/0052.html
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Mark.

If we allow the server to return arbitrary bodies in a 200 response
to a PATCH, we'll have to be very clear on how clients should handle
the returned information.  A caching or synching client might use the
body as the new representation of the resource regardless of what
headers appeared in the 200 response.  Are there any other headers
besides "Content-Location" which might indicate whether the response
body was a representation of the resource or something else?

If we don't have an immediate use for the 200 body other than
returning a reasonable representation of the resource, let's narrow
down the potential meanings and simply require one meaning for 200
OK.  Otherwise, without an immediate implementation to test against,
I am not too hopeful about clients handling properly a 200 OK which
differs from the normal meaning.