Re: HTTP/1.1 pconns to 1.0 servers

Jamie Lokier schrieb:
> Stefan Eissing wrote:
>>> However, the widely deployed Squid proxy cache
>>> <http://www.squid-cache.org/> does not behave in this manner; it
>>> requires a Connection: keep-alive header (or Proxy-Connection, but
>>> that's another discussion) in requests in order for them to persist.
>>>
>> I struggled with exactly the same issue when implementing a HTTP stack.
>> Someone forced me with money to make it work with squid as it is widely
>> deployed. Those were the days...
>
> What is the difficulty with writing a client to work with Squid?
>
> If you omit the "Connection: keep-alive", you'll just get a
> non-keepalive connection, but it'll work fine.  Isn't that right?

With "make it work" I meant "working well". You are right that a
correctly implemented client will just see the missing "keep-alive" and
rightly assume that the connection will be closed. I was struggling with
the "correctly implemented" and the "rightly assume" at that time and
the variety of server behaviours did not exactly help.

It would be "nice" for an HTTP/1.1 client to achieve persistent
connections without sending "keep-alive" as default - so I understood
Mark's initial post. But, as I wrote, this is not the case nor do I see
anything which can be done about it.

Cheers,

Stefan