Re: PATCH thoughts...

I looked into VCDiff a little more.
  - RFC3283 doesn't define a MIME type for VCDiff.
  - RFC3229 uses VCDiff but since there isn't a MIME type simply uses
the string 'vcdiff' to identify it.

Sadly, in looking up the MIME registry I discovered that even though
the W3C note for GDIFF defines a MIME type
(http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-gdiff-19970901), that MIME type does not
appear in the registry.  So that leaves us with no diff formats with
registered MIME types.  I had thought that having a registered MIME
type was the one reason to use GDIFF above others but that's not true
after all.

I really don't know which delta formats are likely to be most commonly
available besides diff -e (also mentioned in RFC3229).  I also don't
have a strong allegiance to using MIME types over short strings as
RFC3229 does, except that some of the use cases will certainly involve
XML diff (or transformation) file definitions, and MIME registration
avoids conflicts there.

So please voice your opinions on this issue to help me off this fence.
Should PATCH require support for one diff format, and if so, what?
Should it use MIME types or strings to identify diff formats?  Should
it register MIME types for VCDiff and/or GDiff (ouch)?

Lisa