Re: Reverse Proxy Header Munging

They're X- headers; unofficial, albeit oft-used by reverse proxies (aka
surrogates, gateways, etc.). X-Forwarded-For is quite common;
X-Forwarded-Host and -Server are, I assume, to account for multiple
virtual domains and/or multiple gateways in a farm.

As to its behaviour, everything that happens between a gateway and the
upstream server is between those parties, more or less. These headers
are pretty straightforward (although there are some potential security
issues), but there are other issues brought about by using a HTTP
gateway that's based on proxy software; e.g., those highlighted in
   http://www.research.att.com/~edith/Papers/HTML/usits01/

Cheers,