RE: This is not "this is not a date"

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Paul Leach wrote:

> For HTTP that proved to be infeasible. Some fields really have to be
> modified by proxies. (Those could still be included in the Proxy-Auth,
> though... I hadn't thought of that, because the proxy auth was added
> later... but anyway...) The fields that _really_ have to be modifed can't be
> in the digest.  I see no compelling reason for L-M or Expires to be changed

I've not done enough homework to be sure this comment makes sense, but
it is reasonable for a document to expire, be revalidated and have a new
expiration applied. If the proxy can't merge in a new expires header then
either a new digest value or whole new copy of the entity would be
required.

Dave Morris