Re: some thoughts on extensions on REQUEST line.

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Ross Patterson wrote:

> Sanjath <sanjath@itsol.itsprojects.com> writes:
>
> >       So, my thought was to add a line of info, which will provide
> >       the language of preference
>
> Take a look at RFC 2068 section 14.4, which describes the Accept-Language
> header field in HTTP 1.1.  This allows a client to specify the what
> language(s) it will accept for response documents.

Yes indeed.

> >                                  and geographical location if
> >       provided by the request originator
>
> This has been discussed before, at least somewhat, but nothing ever came
> of it.  If you're interested in the topic, you might start with a
> search of the list archives at

There are issues on a variety of levels:

On the lowest level, it would be nice if a website could exist
on various servers, and redirection could be automatic to the
closest one, to save bandwidth (or should we call this bandlength :-?).
Something in DNS might help to do that, or something in HTTP, or
whatever. Proxies play some role. Currently, it's mostly by hand,
e.g. on the Apache site.

Closer to the user, questions range from automatic tax calculation
on price lists, different price lists for different countries,
measures (length, weight, clothes and shoe sizes,...), and so on.
Some discussions with examples have been taken place on the list
www-international@w3.org. You might want to check the archive of
that list, too.

Regards,	Martin.