Re: 301/302

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Josh Cohen wrote:

> To: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@SCI.WFBR.EDU>
>
> >      The "307" proposal will allow CGI scripts to work with at
> > least 99% probability of success with both HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1
> > browsers.  Think about it some more.  Try it, you'll like it!!! :) :)
>
> So, am I correct in saying that the new CGI must check the version
> of the *REQUEST* before deciding which code to send back ?

Assuming we are talking about CGI scripts doing POST redirection with
current de-facto 302 behavior:
(1) Old scripts don't have to be rewritten (assuming that nothing else get
    broken when they are transplanted into a HTTP/1.1 server environment.)
    They can continue to use 302 (although it should be a simple change to
    make them 2b instead).

(2) New scripts (your scenario) can
 (a) act like old scripts, or
 (b) check SERVER_PROTOCOL and use 303 or 302, depending, or
 (c) use 303 to a HTTP/1.0 client if there's some out-of-band knowledge,
    recognized user-agent, etc., or
 (d) always use 303 even to all HTTP/1.0 clients.

(a) is for the lazy and the ignorant,
(b) is for those who want the best combination of unambiguousness [is that
    a word?] and interoperability,
(c) is for the insiders,
(d) is for the adventurous and those who don't care.

So I think it's not absolutely necessary that a CGI script check the
client's version, but that it is a good idea.

    Klaus