Re: Comments on the new cookie draft

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

> It isn't clear to me that there's consensus behind the two
> header approach. Is there really?
>
> It seems like a big switch in directions; we went through
> a lot of angony to get to a draft that we sent out for
> Proposed Standard. Are we now all changing our minds about
> what we want to propose as a standard and propose something
> else?
>
> I haven't heard a groundswell of "oops, sorry, changed my mind"
> at all. Mainly I see people are grumbling about getting
> backed into a compatibility problem and wondering who to
> blame for the mess.
>
> I'm less interested in blame, but I do think we need to get
> people's reasoned and considered opinions about what the
> right technical thing to do is, as far as state management,
> in light of both deployed code and also the working group's
> previous stand.

Well, as an author, I will say that I *won't* use any cookie feature in
the new draft that is incompatible with what the installed base of NS/MSIE
works reliably with. Period. So, it seems to me that if the new proposal
breaks the existing base - it is simply DOA as far as deployment goes. You
might as well not issue a standard if no one actually uses it. With the
two header approach I am at least willing to toss in the second header.
The extra bytes just are not significant to me.

--
Benjamin Franz