Re: Q: protocolls and fault tolerance

> From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
> To: HTTP workgroup <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Q: protocolls and fault tolerance
>
> I am new to this group and don't know what are currently the
> topics but have a question I hope to get helped with
> in this group.
>
> Are there implementations of HTTP available based on
> ohter protocolls than TCP?

We did some analysis of HTTP on T/TCP, ARDP, and a few other
base protocols. It was analysis-level only, though.

> Or could a HTTP realisation be based on many different underlaying
> protocolls?

> Furhtermore it might be interesting if HTTP could be realized
> straight onto maybe ATM and the other services it uses could be
> implemented as additions.

HTTP over ATM doesn't make much sense, per se, because:

	HTTP uses URLs,
	URLs use DNS,
	DNS is an name->IPnumber mapping

PS - what's the win if straight on ATM? More expensive end equipment?

Joe
Joe Touch - touch@isi.edu		    http://www.isi.edu/~touch/
ISI / Project Leader, ATOMIC-2, LSAM       http://www.isi.edu/atomic2/
USC / Research Assistant Prof.                http://www.isi.edu/lsam/