Re: Q: protocolls and fault tolerance

On Thu, 29 May 1997 touch@ISI.EDU wrote:
> We did some analysis of HTTP on T/TCP, ARDP, and a few other
> base protocols. It was analysis-level only, though.

So is there up to now  only a HTTP based on TCP ?

Is there a reference to a  paper or something discussing the mentionend
analysis?

> HTTP over ATM doesn't make much sense, per se, because:
But aren't backbones rely on ATM to be fast enougth?
Bandwith reservation could take place on na ATM network, which
is - I believe - not possible with IP up to now.

And as far as I know there are no really good IP on ATM realisations.

> 	HTTP uses URLs,
> 	URLs use DNS,
> 	DNS is an name->IPnumber mapping
But URLs or DNS names could be mapped to something else - another protocoll
would probably have also a kind of addressing framework.

> PS - what's the win if straight on ATM? More expensive end equipment?
Hopefully ATM hardware will become less expensive in future. It
is probably overpriced nowdays anyway.