Re: Summary of opinions on Negotiate header

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> (b) every single byte on a request message matters if it is the one
>     that causes the request to exceed two TCP packets.

While I agree with the concern about size, it seems a tiny bit silly
to worry about compression of the token from 3 to 1 in the face of
a 9 character header name along with the : and LWS and CR/LF. So we
are really comparing 14 characters with 16 characters. Too bad we
didn't define something like a generic flag or option header with
companion semantics for vary....

In the interim, how about a brief header name?  Just N ?

Dave Morris