RE: New document on "Simple hit-metering for HTTP"

At the most gross and simplistic way of measuring complexity (weight),
your proposal was three I-Ds, totalling 26 pages; ours is one draft of
11 pages -- factoring out bolierplate, that's about 1/3 as much real
text.

The minimum implementation is not much more than to attach a counter to
entries in the cache and report them every time the entry is
revalidated. Adding an implementation of max-uses to the minimum
implementation adds a new way of controlling cache expiration that may
be useful in contexts other than hot counting. The next level of
implementation is to initiate an asynchronous HEAD when purging an
entry. If you're really masochistic, you can defer sending the HEAD
hoping to batch a bunch of them together -- but that's completely
optional (and to my mind of dubious value).