Re: Conventions for Sharing User Agent Profiles

Simon Spero writes:
 > My actual proposal ended up not using URLs to fetch the data; instead, it
 > used the obvious facts that (1) The client knows it's UA profile and (2)
 > the server is reachable from the client (otherwise the whole thing is
 > pretty pointless).
 >
 > The conclusion - if the server doesn't have the profile, the client should
 > send it. Makes even more sense with NG or interleaved Persistent
 > connections...
 >
 > Simon

The problem with this approach is that oddities of particular browsers
may not exist in a hard coded database built into the browser itself
at the time it is released, but may only be recognized by third
parties, after the fact.  The UA-characteristics database should be
independent of the UA itself.  I'm assuming here that this database
may contain fine detail about UA behavior that may even include bugs
noticed long after the release.