Re: hit-metering poll

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Paul Leach wrote:

> When you do hit counting:
>
> Do you count HEADs and GETs as hits?

        The log analysis software that we license to our customers whose
sites we develop (TrafficWatch) counts the HEAD, GET and POST queries
together. TrafficWatch is configurable to allow customized profiling of the
standard logfile format records, but no customer has requested to
differentiate between the request types. Our own profiles across all sites
we host show very few HEAD queries (less than .01%), so the magnitude of
possible inflation of the totals is of little concern to them. They are
mostly interested in configuring various graphical representations of the
various hit populations according to content or  client characteristics.

--
Matthew Rubenstein                     North American Media Engines
Toronto, Ontario   *finger matt for public key*       (416)943-1010

               They also surf who only stand on waves.