Apache Cookie Log Analyzer (was: Re: hit-metering poll)

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Paul Leach wrote:

> I need data from any content providers on this list!
>
> When you do hit counting:
>
> Do you count HEADs and GETs as hits?
>
> Do you count conditional GETs that return 304 (Not modified) as hits?
> (I.e., where the requester already had a copy of the page, and was just
> checking to see if it was up-to-date.)
>
> If you are not a content provider, but have information about their
> practices, I'd love it if you contributed it as well. (It would be nice
> if you indicated it was second hand...)

In a kind of addendum to what I said in my other reply, I have just
released a free basic log analyser for the Apache cookie_log. This (at
least attempts to) measures the number of unique session accessing pages
on a site. The perl script can be found at
<URL:http://www.netimages.com/~snowhare/utilities/cookies.html>. This
measurement is, of course, completely different than those of traditional
access_log analyzers because it only counts unique sessions and not total
hits. The script is not a full featured analyzer, but a basic overview
tool.

--
Benjamin Franz