Re: making progress on State-Info

"Sankar Virdhagriswaran, Crystaliz Inc." <sankar@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu> wrote:

  > Seems like the state-info proposal covers what one would need for the
  > moment. While it pushes the really difficult aspect of implementing
  > transactional concepts to CGI bin scripts, one could argue that is how it
  > should be (since the notion of transaction varies in different application
  > areas).

Let me try to clarify something.  The value for the State-Info header
is opaque.  But just because the specification says it's opaque does
not mean a server can't structure the information in some way specific
to it, such as making the first part a path.  The server could further
assume that State-Info headers that return to it have that structure
and use the path information to control behavior.

There's a false presumption that a CGI-like mechanism must be used for
all implementations of State-Info.  The mechanism is general and can be
implemented and used many ways.

Dave Kristol