Re: Binary data in text-based protocol formats

At 10:21 99/02/22 +0100, Jacob Palme wrote:
> At 03.40 +0100 99-02-21, Martin J. Duerst wrote:
> > The web can easily include binary data, it's done all the time
> > with images, just use a link instead of putting things inline :-).
>
> If you want to include everything in one document, I assume you
> would then use multipart/related?

This is one possibility. The problem with this is the boundaries,
but I guess it should be possible to construct boundaries that
cannot appear in XML (such as something like <><>]]>]]> or something
along these lines). [I'm just checking this with some XML experts].

> Another alternative I have been thinking of would be to use
> base64 encoding of binary data.

Yes indeed.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org