Re: Binary data in text-based protocol formats

At 03.40 +0100 99-02-21, Martin J. Duerst wrote:

> XML is a text format. As such, it can be transcoded by mail gateways.
> If you label something as
> and it gets transcoded to EBCDIC, the binary data won't survive.
>
> The web can easily include binary data, it's done all the time
> with images, just use a link instead of putting things inline :-).

If by link you mean an URL, I can see problems with it. If you want
to send secret data, you may not wish part of the data to be available
through an URL - not even if that URL contains a password.
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)