Use of TELNET for testing protocols

At 23.27 +0100 99-02-11, Chris Newman wrote:
> Efficiency brings in all sorts of tradeoffs.  One can make a protocol use
> a few fewer bytes on the wire by using a binary encoding, but this has the
> expense of requiring significant additional programmer time to develop
> debugging and testing suites since "telnet" doesn't work any more.

I know that you can use TELNET to test a server by
simulating a client, by a human typing or pasting the client
parts of a textual protocol.

But how can you use TELNET to test a client by simulating a
server? This would certainly be very useful, and perhaps
this is common knowledge which I have not acquired?

Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)