IETF split? (was: HTTP Extensions Framework status?)

At 04.22 +0100 99-12-07, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> This has been discussed a number of times, and every time the answer that
> comes back states that having meetings at the same time (i.e. at the same
> IETF meetings) is a good thing. It has also been discussed whether the
> various areas should be meeting at different dates, and the answer to that
> questions has also been the same. Take for example the MMMS or iDNS BOF or
> the IMPP effort which all depend on interest from more areas than APPS.

My suggestion is that APPS have their meeting one week and
all other IETF groups the next week. People can then stay
for two weeks if they want to cover both areas, which I
expect IESG members will do, but the load on the single
weeks will be less.

Some topics which are of special interest to both APPS
and other areas could be scheduled for the weekend
between APPS and the rest, or the Friday the first
week or the Monday the next week.

This proposal might actually increase cross-fertilization,
because with the present scheme, very few people have time
to go to working groups within both APPS and the other
areas!

Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/