Re: Some questions on Configurations

"Kirmse, Daniel" <daniel.kirmse@sap.com> wrote:

> Hi, me again!
>
> This time I have some questions concerning configurations.
>
> 1.DeltaV differentiates a baseline-controlled collection and a
> version-controlled configuration. My understanding is that a
> collection C put under baseline-control becomes the root of a
> version-controlled configuration (VCC).

This is true.

> So puting a collection C under baseline-control means all
> resources subordinate to C will be part of the configuration
> rooted at C and theire last checked in version is captured
> in the baseline.

The baseline captures all version-controlled resources 'reachable' from C.

> The pic below (taken from DeltaV draft 20) implies a 1:1 relationship of
the
> two concepts.

<<snip>>

> 2. What about creating "components"/subbaselines/subconfigurations.
> Because of the definition of a Configuration given in DeltaV
> one would assume that the components have to be created before
> the "component container" otherwise there would be a problem with
> the definition:
>
>    A "configuration" is a set of resources that consists of a root
>    collection and all members (not just internal members) of that
>    root collection that are not members of another configuration.

Agreed.

> But in my opinion the "component" baselines/configurations created
> that way would be no subbaselines. Or would they be?

Yes.  Furthermore, the subbaselines are not constrained to capture parts
of the namespace rooted by C, they can be disjoint.

> The only way of getting it straight (means creating components after
> the superior container was created) is that the container is created/put
> under baseline control first and then subtrees of the configuration
> put under baseline control on their own. But this would contradict
> with the definition as well.

No, the subbaselines have to be created first, and can be added to the
DAV:subbaseline-set property of a checked-out version-controlled
configuration.

> So what is the way of creating subbaselines? My reading of the draft did
> not reveal this fact to me (unfortunately).

The baseline is created using BASELINE-CONTROL, and they become
subbaselines by virtue of being added to the DAV:subbaseline-set.

Regards,