RE: Workspaces and File&Folder Hierarchy

   From: Alan Kent [mailto:ajk@mds.rmit.edu.au]

   On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 04:36:03PM +0100, Kirmse, Daniel wrote:

   > is it allowed to have a Workspace containing a File&Folder
   > Hierarchy (i.e. a copy of a subtree of the webdav resource tree)?

   Yes. I think a really nice thing about DeltaV is that it allows
   versioning of containers (directories). Its not mandatory, but
   certainly is supported. I would suggest having a bit of a read.

   To me the only special thing about a workspace is that it imposes
   additional constraints on that you are only allowed to check out
   one version of a resource under it. (Note, you could have multiple
   bindings of URLS to the same resource, but they would be the same
   version of that resource).

Yes, as Alan says, a Workspace can have a File/Folder (WebDAV would
call it a Resource/Collection) hierarchy below it (a Workspace is
just a special kind of collection).

Another special thing about a Workspace is that you can
associate a "current-activity" with that workspace, to simplify
activity-based checkouts.  Also, you have an easy way to identify
all checkouts in a workspace (without doing a depth propfind),
and you can tell whether a resource is a member of a workspace by
looking at its DAV:workspace property.

But I agree with Alan that the most important thing about a workspace
is that it has at most one versioned-controlled resource for a given
version history.