RE: Submission: deltav subset

I'm inclined to declare victory on our DeltaV charter and let some servers
get built on what we have before we start making a lot of immediate
changes. Of course I would welcome any BOF to determine level of interest
in extensions, new packages, etc. DeltaV is now firmly on the standards
track. The next step is to get some implementation and determine
interoperability issues. If the community fragments immediately on
different packages that aren't interoperable in meaningful ways, then
certainly that's good information for the standards process that would
need to be addressed. But I think the community would benefit from
attempting to implement the spec as written so we encourage
interoperability.

As for shutting down DeltaV, we're only at proposed standard. We could
consider updating the charter to move to the next stage in the lifecycle.
I would be happy to entertain suggestions as to the content of such a
charter, and if there's sufficient interest, we can propose the next set
of work items to the AD's as either continuation of DeltaV (with a new
charter), or other working groups focused on more specific tasks.

"Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
10/18/2001 06:36 PM