confusion.  I'll use VCCl and VCCn from now on.

   From: Peter Raymond [mailto:Peter.Raymond@merant.com]

   [Geoff wrote]:
   >The only way a working baseline is useful is if it is checked-out
   >from a VCCn with the DAV:apply-to-version flag (otherwise there
   >would be no way to update the members of the configuration).  In
   >this case, the DAV:auto-version property identifies the VCCn, and
   >the DAV:baseline-controlled-collection property of the VCCn
   >identifies the BCC.

   OK, this is useful to know and in my opinion should be spelled out
   in the protocol document that the only way to create a working
   baseline is by doing a DAV:apply-to-version checkout of a VCCn.

Well, it's not the only way, but rather the main useful
way (the protocol does allow you to do some non-useful things :-).
There is one minor use case for which it makes sense to checkout
a baseline directly (instead of checking out a VCCn).  In particular,
if you just want to modify one of the dead properties of a baseline,
or the DAV:subbaseline-set property, then you could just checkout the
baseline, make the change, and check it back in.  But if you want to
have the new baseline select different versions, you would need to
checkout a VCCn.

   Then I would be happy that my server can just look at the
   DAV:baseline-controlled-collection property of the VCC identified
   by the DAV:auto-version.  At the moment I cannot guarantee that the
   working baseline has been created by checking out a VCC so I have
   to do the complex looking of properties and collection members etc
   as in my last e-mail.

You should never to that looking around.  If someone creates a working
resource for a configuration other than by checking out a VCCn, then
it is *not* associated with any BCC, and the only thing they can do to
that working resource is change the dead properties or
DAV:subbaseline-set property.