From: James J. Hunt [mailto:jjh@allerton.de]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2001 1:15 PM
To: Geoffrey M. Clemm
Cc: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Subject: Re: Option abuse

"Geoffrey M. Clemm" wrote:

> It really doesn't matter whether we marshall this as an OPTIONS call
> or as a PROPFIND for a property.  This used to be marshalled as a
> property but a reviewer pointed out that this information seemed more
> like an option than a property.
>
> Can you give some motivation for switching this back to being a property?
>
> Cheers,
> Geoff

Dear Geoff,

My understanding of an option is "does the server support x".  Properties
associate values to keys for a given resource.  Let us take
DAV:workspace-collection-set.  Especially when you say that the http
namespace
can be spread over several servers, the question I ask with this tag is not
do
you support workspaces, rather for a given versionable workspace, where can
create a workspace for it?  In other words, I am asking what is the
workspace
area associated with this resource.  That seems to me to be a property of
that
resource, because every resource could answer it differently.

Sincerely,
James