Re: Splitting off core: where we stand

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:26:41PM -0500, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:
> Greg and Juergen expressed their desire to split the document before
> we cleanly separated out the core and options sections.

Right. With the current document organization, I'm ambivalent. It is quite
fine, and I can easily build an implementation with it in hand. The speed of
progression through the IETF has some merit in terms of how to treat the
document, but I also find it rather disturbing that a standard has to be a
slave to the IETF process.

Personally, I'll code against the draft as it is submitted to the IETF,
whether as a single or two-part draft. It doesn't matter to me, and it
doesn't matter how fast it progresses to Draft Standard. One of the luxuries
of Open Source coding, is that I can build something without a marketing
department forcing interoperability or forwards/backwards compatibility. If
the spec changes later, then I can change the code at will. (of course, I do
feel some weight from mod_dav users and it being used in some cases as a
reference point; but forward development is much easier on me; changes can
be fixed)

Ah well. Point is: the speed of progression thru the IETF doesn't bother me.
And the unified document is somewhat more appealing and may encourage people
to look at what their other options are when they investigate the core
versioning.

In Apache terms, I'd say that I'm "-0" on splitting it... meaning that I'm
not for it, but wouldn't complain if it was split.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/