"interesting properties with no interoperable semantics".

   From: "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>

   Labels won't solve the problem, for us and I suspect also for you,
   because you can't have more than one version in a version history have
   the same label.

   So although you could mark one version with the label "author_edgar",
   you could only do that to one version.  I think by the very example you
   chose you want to be need to have custom mutable properties.