expand-property report (was: Re: remove DAV:version property?)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 05:45:31PM -0500, Geoffrey M. Clemm wrote:
>    [ also note that expand-property "violates" DTDs for properties. cool with
>      me, but some DTD fanatics will be up in arms. (e.g. version-history isn't
>      defined to contains a DAV:response element) ]
>
> Good point.
>
> The only alternative I can see is to replace every occurrence of
> "href" in property definitions with "href|response", but that seems to
> me that it would cause more confusion than benefit to the reader.
>
> Since the DAV:response value will only come back in the
> DAV:expand-property report, only clients that understand this extended
> behavior will encounter it.  So unless the working group feels
> otherwise, I will address this point by adding some appropriate text
> to the DAV:expand-property section describing this DTD-extending
> impact, and not by modifying the DTD's.  Is this OK?

Don't bother. I only mentioned it to tweak the DTD purists :-)

DAV has the overall design point of "other elements may appear within DAV:
elements; ignore those that you don't understand." This is a simple case of
that.

However, now that I'm thinking about it... it *is* important to note that
any DAV:response embedded within the "property value" is not actually part
of that value.

Hmm... Normally, we have a value such as:

  <D:version-history>
    <D:href>value</D:href>
  </D:version-history>

In the expand-property report, the D:href is moved:

  <D:version-history>
    <D:response>
      <D:href>value</D:href>
      <D:propstat>...</D:propstat>
    </D:response>
  </D:version-history>

Personally, I think that is fine, but maybe it needs a bit of clarification.
Especially from that standpoint of "what if other value(s) are in that
property?" For example:

  <D:version-history>
    <D:href>value</D:href>
    <SVN:extension>something</SVN:extension>
  </D:version-history>

Where does the SVN:extension go? Using the "href -> response" rewrite angle,
the result would be:

  <D:version-history>
    <D:response>
      <D:href>value</D:href>
      <D:propstat>...</D:propstat>
    </D:response>
    <SVN:extension>something</SVN:extension>
  </D:version-history>

Given the above, clarification might be essential :-)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/