RE: Suppressing the extra CR after an </tag>

There are three settings for --indent: yes, no and auto.

For yes and no, Tidy does not print any empty lines.  For auto, it still
prints an empty line between  many block elements, but not as many as it
used to.  We complaints no matter what we do ... <grin>.

-i is equivalent to --ident yes

See http://tidy.sf.net/docs/quickref.html#indent

take it easy,
Charlie