Re: Possible bug in TidyCom.

Terry Teague wrote:

> At 7:29 PM +0000 2/5/02, Matthew Stanfield wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure but I may have found a possible bug in TidyCom.
> >
> >I'm accessing the dll from a C# program and everything seems to be
> >working fine except Options.Doctype. It doesn't seem to make any
> >difference if I load a tidy config file with the line "doctype: omit" in
> >it or set that option manually in the program, the original line -in
> >this case the one below- is always left in.
> >
> ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> >
> >I need to get rid of this line to make the tidied output xml compliant
> >html.
> >
> >I've also tried setting the doctype option to a custom string, but this
> >doesn't work either although the Options.Doctype property correctly
> >displays the custom string if I write it to the screen before calling:
> >"TidyToFile(inFilename, outFilename);".
>
> I don't know what version of the base Tidy source code, TidyCom is using,
> but there were a number of bugs in the base Tidy source code related to
> DOCTYPEs, including issues with "doctype: omit", that we believe have now
> been fixed.
>
> You may have to wait for André to update TidyCom to use the latest base
> Tidy source code (if it is just a matter of updating a Tidy executable that
> TidyCom uses, that is even easier - I don't know enough about TidyCom to
> help further). I don't know of any workarounds.
>
> Hope this helps.

It does help -- thanks Terry.

For my purposes I need only the html 'body' so I thought using the
show-body-only option would be an effective workaround; since doctypes
are positioned even before the <html> tag I would get rid of them.

However show-body-only being set to true also does not seem to work in
TidyCom, perhaps I am not using TidyCom properly or have there also been
problems with that in earlier versions of the base Tidy source code? --I
am pretty sure my code is correct because the other options I am using,
such as outputting in xml, indenting and wrapping, all seem to work
well.

I have written some code to provide me with 'just the body' today so I
don't need to use TidyCom to do this or to get rid of the doctype tag
anymore. Still I'd be interested to know what the current and past
status of these options are within Tidy and TidyCom.

No word from André yet, I guess he's busy (fair play TidyCom is free
after all) or maybe taking a holiday in the alps, although I hear France
is a little short of snow this year. I'm CCing this to him anyway.

Thanks and regards,

..matthew