Re: Web archive processing

At 1:46 PM +1300 1/16/02, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>	>But basically as I understand it, the Web Archive format was
>introduced
>	>with Internet Explorer 4.0.x, and is basically a standard Java
>".jar" file,
>	>with the extension changed to ".war". Apparently there were some
>bugs with
>	>early IE 4.0 versions and Web Archives, and based on the comments
>below, it
>	>is possible that Microsoft "embraced and extended" the jar format.

Just to add what another poster said - I did discover the ".war" format is
used by J2EE applications - I chose to concentrate on how MSIE was using
the archive format. I didn't debate who came up with the format first.

>This was on a Macintosh.  The "Web Archive" file in question didn't have
>_any_ extension, neither ".war", ".jar", ".zip", or any extension at all.

Yes, I know it was on a Macintosh <grin>. I didn't say such a file would
have an extension (although of course it could). I assumed you were using
iCab Web Archives, and not IE Web Archives.

>Its icon appeared at first and second glance to be the same as the icon
>used for simple Web pages.  The Macintoshes in question didn't have MPW
>installed, so writing a script to unpack the thing and feed the parts through
>the (non-command-line!) MacTidy application would have been _rather_ tricky.

I guess I was thinking more StuffIt and AppleScript than anything else. Of
course I assume you are aware of my MPWTidy tool...

Regards, Terry