Re: Tidy feature request

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Dan Kohn wrote:

> + It would be nice for Tidy to verify that the charset being
> used is the correct canonical name (e.g., ISO-8859-1 not
> ISO_8859-1) both in the XML processing instruction <?xml
> version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> and META tags such as:

>      http-equiv="Content-Type"
>      content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Sounds straightforward. I will put this in the queue for work
on enhancements.

> + I assume you are aware that Tidy reports an error when shown
> the new XHTML namespace of <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml> and
> incorrectly changes it to <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1>.  And,
> Tidy incorrectly reports a bug for xml:lang="en".

This will be fixed in the December release.

> + Finally, I think you should consider having an option for Tidy
> to add a tag such as <meta name="Generator" content="HTML Tidy,
> a free utility from Dave Raggett at the W3C, version 30th
> November 1999" href="http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/">.
> The point would be for anyone viewing the HTML source to say,
> "Wow, I wish my source looked this nice!" and immediately know
> what to do about it.  Of course, you would want to allow people
> to turn this off, but I would suggest that the default should be
> on.

I would be interested in what other folk think of this idea.
It would need to be modified slightly, since href is not an
allowed attribute for meta.

Many thanks for your input.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)