Re: Tidy having problems with Layer and Nolayer

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Gerald Powell (AUS) wrote:

> Tidy seems to be having problems handling tags between nolayer
> tags and layer tags.  Macromedia Drumbeat 2000 creats this code
> this way and from what I read in the spec.  it seems to be
> compliant.

Thanks for your input.

The first point is that layer and nolayer are Netscape specific and
not sanctioned by W3C. Tidy treats them as blocklevel elements
similar to blockquote. It won't expect to see content that belongs
to the head within layer or nolayer, and will I am sure move such
content out to the head. Do you have any pointers to information
that can clarify whether layers are allowed in the document head?

One alternative would be to use div with CSS positioning as this
gives the same functionality as the layer element, but with the
advantage of validating to the W3C HTML4 specs.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)