RE: Namespaces in Attribute Value..

I tried using xs:QName..but I am not getting the
behaviour I wanted.

Here is what I am trying to do..(a little long read!)

Lets take this example schema extract:

<xs:element name="Quantity">
  <xs:complexType>
    <xs:simpleContent>
      <xs:extension base="xs:float">
	<xs:attribute name="Item" type="xs:QName"/>
      </xs:extension>
     </xs:simpleContent>
   </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

When I author this using an Schema editor (Stylus
etc), and validate the schema it passes.

Now I change the attribute definition to

<xs:attribute name="Item" type="abc:ItemType"/>

I validate schema and my schema editor throws the
error:
1 - Prefix: 'abc' can not be resolved to a URI
2 - SimpleType (:ItemType) for attribute: Type not
found

I want to achieve exactly the same kind of behavior as
above in my schema/instance document i.e throw this
kind of error while validating my instance document.

I defined an instance document and associated it with
the above valid schema. The instance document:

<Quantity Item="abc:Gas">234.34</Quantity>

When I validate this document, I DONT get the errors I
expect. I expected:
1- Prefix: 'abc' can not be resolved to a URI
2- SimpleType (:Gas) for attribute: Item not found

Is this possible to achieve using schemas? If so what
am I missing?

Or is it that Schema Editors have special
logic/processing in them to validate XSD's only and
flag those errors?

Thanks