RE: Namespaces in Attribute Value..

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:22:24 +0100
To: "'Ashok'" <ashoksrini@yahoo.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> When I validate this document, I DONT get the errors I
> expect. I expected:
> 1- Prefix: 'abc' can not be resolved to a URI
> 2- SimpleType (:Gas) for attribute: Item not found

You should get an error if the value is declared as an xs:QName and the
prefix is not declared. However, the local name can be anything you like.
Saying it's an xs:QName means it has to conform to the rules for QNames, but
it doesn't mean that the QName has to be the name of any particular object,
such as a type in a schema.

I don't know why you're not getting an error if you use an undeclared prefix
in a value declared with type xs:QName. MSXML, Xerces, and XSV all appear to

Michael Kay