Help wanted with XML Schema for Dublin Core in RDF/XML

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 15:46:00 +0000
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

I'm the editor of
  Expressing Simple Dublin Core in RDF/XML

which is a draft document for the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative
The latest version 2001-11-28 is at

In earlier versions I added an XML Schema to an appendix, to go along
with & derived from the DTD.  We've received various feedback on
these schemas during the process, but I'm no expert on XSD.  The
latest suggestions we got on the 2001-11-28 schema are particularly
difficult for me to answer:

  Remove the <import>s of http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace and
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema as they aren't required - "over
  the top" and may cause performance problems with tools.
    -- I thought these were required for validation

  Revert the schema to the older one, without the any and
    anyAttribute stuff

I really don't know how to evaluate these or fix other problems that
may be there in the schema.  Any help would be appreciated

History of versions - newest to oldest

Version of 2001-11-28
  using http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema

    -- changed to a different version to allow more easy reuse, refining
    -- made informational (non-normative) after feedback

Version of 2001-09-20
  using http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema
  passed W3C XSV 1.203/1.106 of 2001/09/03 as of 2001-09-20.

    -- updated to use the XSD REC

Version of 2001-04-11
  using http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema.dtd
  passed W3C XSV validator for XML Schema 20000922 version as of 2001-03-14

    -- original version, a conversion from the DTD