Re: Help wanted with XML Schema for Dublin Core in RDF/XML

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:52:22 +0000
To: xmlschema-dev <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
CC: priscilla <priscilla@walmsley.com>
>>>Priscilla Walmsley said:
> Hi Dave,
> You've also got another issue with your schema.  You can't use a namespace
> prefix in the "name" attribute of an element declaration.  The element
> declaration will automatically use the target namespace of the schema
> document.  So, for example,
> <element name="rdf:RDF".....
> is not valid. ...

> .... In your case, since you are declaring elements in two
> namespaces, you need to have two schema documents, one for the rdf namespace
> and one for the dc namespace, with one importing the other.

Double groan.

That means I need *two* XML schemas?

Switching hats to be the editor of the W3C RDF Core WG
RDF/XML syntax revision specification, the latest version at
contains another schema language for the grammar but not XSD.
But I daren't mention its name on xmlschema-dev :)

I wonder if
would help.  Requires registering with Sun under very vague
conditions so I've not tried it:
   "to assure compliance with legal and governmental restrictions on
    the distribution and exportation of software."

I can't see a schema for the RDF namespace appearing for many months,
since the RDF Core WG work is ongoing.

Back to Dublin Core hat.

> Another nit is that I don't see the "dc" prefix declared anywhere in the
> schema document.

Oops!  Another mistake.  I never said that schema worked since I
couldn't understand the xsv validator results.

Making these changes XSV of 2001/12/07 20:43:15
is happy.

So my feeling is to publish now, we'll have to drop this xml schema
and keep the DTD.

BTW I tried the dtd2xs java applet; it just crashes with a null
pointer exception.