Re: essential test cases?

keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> DOM L2 doesn't guarantee that the
> base URI can be retrieved.

This seems to me a major deficiency in DOM Level 2 whatever conclusion
this discussion reaches.  Without the base URI, many kinds of processing
of documents that use URI references (eg in attribute values) are
impossible.  It's strange to me for a W3C Rec to lack proper support for
URI references. Note in particular the base URI is required for
implementing XSLT, which means it is impossible to implement the XSLT
Recommendation using DOM Level 2 without using non-interoperable
extensions to the DOM. It's also part of the Infoset (at least it is the
current public WD.)

> If you have Entity Reference nodes, you can
> search upward until you find one; if you hit the top of tree, you can then
> assume the base URI of the Document.

How do you get the base URI of the Document?  The HTMLDocument interface
has a URL attribute but I don't see anything comparable for XML.

James